Safety-related control system design is becoming ever more complex often due to the way personnel and plant collaboratively interact in the modern factory. This two-day course gives the electrical designer a thorough understanding of the requirements of the safety standard BS EN ISO 13849-1:2015 – Safety of machinery. Safety-related parts of control systems. General principles for design and BS EN ISO 13849-2:2012 – Safety of machinery. Safety-related parts of control systems. Validation.
By the end of the two-day course delegates will have the confidence to design, verify and validate a machinery safety-related control system as well as the knowledge to use the SISTEMA software suite to verify & document their design.
Who Should Attend
The course is aimed at those who have responsibilities within the scope of BS EN 13849-1 & 2. In particular:
- Machinery Design Engineers
- Project Engineers
- Control and Instrumentation Engineers
- Mechanical / Electrical Engineers
- Those responsible for modifying or upgrading existing machinery
Learning Objectives & Course Content
- Provide a thorough understanding of the various parts of BS EN ISO 13849 to allow the delegate to understand the meaning of key terminology including Performance Level (PL), Diagnostic Coverage (DC), Common Cause Failure (CCF), Mean Time to Dangerous Failure (MTTFd)
- An ability to design and integrate the safety-related part of control systems (SRP/CS) into an overall control philosophy.
- Awareness of safety software design and the considerations required to ensure a safe overall scheme is implemented including hardware & software.
- Possible ways to minimise or prevent failure of the safety functions and detect when failures do occur.
- The different technologies included within a typical safety-related control system, including electrical, pneumatic and hydraulic.
- Understanding the importance of Diagnostic Coverage and Common Cause Failure
- Examples of calculating the performance level required for various safety functions within a typical SRP/CS.
- Certificate upon successful completion
- Comprehensive course notes and reference material provided
£595 + VAT per delegate